Friday, May 30, 2008

Summer Projects

One of the biggest obstacles of photography is a lack of motivation. Too often we put our camera away for long stretches of time. Out of site out of mind. One way to keep motivated especially in the summer when you have so many other interests, is to plan projects. I have four projects I would like to accomplish this summer. I plan these projects in the hope that they will motivate me to continue to take photos through the summer. We all know, the only way we will improve our photography skills is to use them, that's way self-motivation is so important. I will be talking about my projects through the summer.

My first project, which I intend to accomplish over the next month is taking slow shutter speed photos of water movement. I will be taking my tripod, camera, polarizer and ND filer to the banks of the Potomac and trying out these skills. This project was inspired by an article I read in Popular Photography, June 2008. The article is written by Darwin Wiggett called Paint with Time. He talks about how taking "long exposures can capture the light passing over the land to create effects you can't see with an unaided eye." So hopefully I will have the opportunity when the sun is setting and there is some wave action on the Potomac.

No comments: